ROBERT F. MEIS
University of Iowa, B.B.A., with honors, Economics and Finance, 1980
University of Iowa College of Law, J.D., with distinction, 1983
The Iowa State Bar Association
Nebraska State Bar Association
State Bar of South Dakota
American Bar Association
Woodbury County Bar Association
Robert F. Meis joined the Firm as a partner in 2003. Bob’s general practice includes, but is not limited to, Wills, Trusts, Estate Planning & Probate Law, Corporate Law, Business Law, and Real Estate.
Bob was born in Sioux City, Iowa, and attended the University of Iowa. Bob obtained a Bachelor of Business Administration with honors from the University of Iowa in 1980 and was awarded his Juris Doctor from the University of Iowa School of Law, with distinction, in 1983. Bob is admitted to practice law in Iowa, Nebraska, and South Dakota.
Bob is an active leader in the Siouxland community. He has been involved with numerous boards including the Siouxland Community Foundation, Sioux City Public Schools Foundation, Sioux City Public Library Foundation and the Sioux City Alzheimer’s Association.
He is a member of The Iowa State Bar Association, Nebraska Bar Association and the American Bar Association.
Bob enjoys biking, swimming, music, and spending time with his wife and four children.
Corporate and Commercial Transactions
- Advises small to medium-sized businesses, business owners, and outside investors in entity formation, operation, acquisitions, and liquidation
- Counsels businesses and business owners in facilitating strategic goals and governance issues
- Drafts, negotiates and implements all forms of organizational, operational, transactional agreements and contracts
Estates and Trusts
- Counseling individuals and their families in the development and implementation of estate planning strategies to plan for the tax efficient distribution of their assets, during their lifetime and upon their deaths, while meeting family succession goals with particular expertise in the preparation of sophisticated estate planning documents
- Advising corporate and individual executors, administrators, and personal representatives
Guiding clients through the probate and estate tax audit process to promptly and efficiently settle an estate
- Guiding clients through the probate and estate tax audit process to promptly and efficiently settle an estate
- Providing counsel to trustees and beneficiaries in a wide variety of trusts
- Bob’s clients range from those needing simple Wills to the development and long-term implementation of sophisticated estate plans for high net-worth clients and their families for successive generations
- President – Woodbury County Bar Association, 2013
- President – Siouxland Community Foundation, 2016; Board Member, 2007-2013, 2015-present
- Former Board Member – Sioux City Public Schools Foundation, 2006-2009
- Board Member – Sioux City Public Library Foundation, 2006-present
- Former Board Member – Sioux City Chapter Alzheimer’s Association, 2001-2007
- Former President and Board Member – Center for Siouxland
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- General Practice
including but not limited to